Still,​ I Rise.

Some people get tattoos because they want to be a badass; others get them because they have a deeper meaning.

Admittedly, I when I got my first tattoo I was being a little spontaneous because had a wild hair up my ass but truly, it means something special. Instead of branding my body with a tramp stamp, I chose a beautiful quote by the late Maya Angelou.

xx

Still, like air, I’ll rise.
xx
xx
It’s short and sweet, yet extremely powerful. To me, it means despite the circumstance, I will still stand up and rise above what’s happening to or around me. Here is my favorite excerpt of the poem.
 xx
Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don’t you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.
 xx
I chose to share this with you not because I want to brag about my ink or to claim that I’m “tatted” but because I’m going through a really tough time. I’m struggling with work and to find a sense of purpose during my 9-5. Money is tight and things have been incredibly stressful.
xx
For the first time in a long time, I haven’t been feeling like myself. I look in the mirror and see a dull, uninspired person who just tries to find a way to get through each day. I’ve fallen behind on promises to friends and what’s worse, I haven’t been talking about it. I’ve been bottling it all up just to break down into tears when I get home.
xx
But I’m so sick and tired of feeling sorry for myself. Printed in dark, permanent ink are the very words that tell me to snap the hell out of this funk.
xx
Still, like air, I’ll rise.
xx
Just as easily as air rises, so can I. I need to remember that life is going to suck and that I am no more special than anyone else that I can go through life problem-free. So here I am, friends. I’m speaking up and admitting that my life feels like a shit show right now, but you bet your ass that I’m going to rise from this better than ever. (I’m just going to have a lot of things to say and lessons to learn on the way).
 xx

Sometimes tattoos are spur of the moment decisions and other times they’re a wake-up call to remind you why you were crazy enough to get one in the first place. Stay crazy my friends.

Xoxo ❤

Paige's first tattoo. Still, like air, I'll rise
Moments after my tattoo session

xx

If you’re interested, you can read the full poem here.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 6.40.08 PM.png

Join the conversation! Like my Facebook page

Tweet Tweet. Hop in the nest and follow me on Twitter @thepagesofpaige

Double tap and show me some love. Follow me on the ‘gram @thepagesofpaige_

39 Comments Add yours

1. I’m pretty sure “you’ve got this”, but if you do decide to let the 100’s of people around you help out, you might get through it quicker. Sometimes talking to an almost complete stranger helps ( we are friends on fb) 😛 Hang in there kiddo, and remember, You WILL RISE

Liked by 3 people

1. Aww sweetie! I’ve missed you (: we should definitely catch up on Facebook. I’ve been keeping up with you so I hope that you’re well 😘 I’ll get through this soon and I’m sure that I’ll be better for it – it’s just been a tough challenge that’s been breaking me for a few months (that’s why I’ve been so quiet). But writing this made me feel so great and the support made my entire day! Thank you, love ❤️

Liked by 2 people

2. floweringink says:

The fact that you wrote this, so beautifully and honestly, tells me that you will absolutely rise! And, what an amazing first tattoo. I have a lot of ink, but still looking for the right words. Yours were there at the start and are still with you. You are already rising. You will rise and rise again.

Liked by 3 people

1. Gallantly, gal says:

aw what a beautiful comment!
      you’ll find the right words someday soon 🙂

Liked by 3 people

2. Thank you so much sweetheart 💕 you are too kind. I’ve been doubting my strength for quite a while now but this post made me feel so free. I’m going to get through this soon and be better than ever. Your support makes my heart smile 😊 And I’d love to see your ink! I love it. My boo has 5 now and is itching for more so I wouldn’t be surprised if I get another one in the future 💕 I hope that you find a new addition to your tattoo art that you love.

Liked by 2 people

1. floweringink says:

Writing it out can be the most freeing thing; it can set us on new paths and show us new things. You will get through it, and in the meantime, it is ok to feel all the feelings. I have so much ink now, it marks time periods rather than just single things. But, I am not young and have been collecting for years. It has been quite a while since I have gotten anything new, but you have me inspired. You are lovely!!!!!

2. I totally agree! Writing has always been so therapeutic for me. For the first time in what seems like forever, I’ve had the hesitation to share my struggle for fear of judgement and vulnerability. But this post was the total opposite! The outpouring of love and support encourages me more than anything I’ve been able to do for myself 🙂 So thank you for being such a doll ❤

Wow, I love that you have tattoos that symbolize your life as it unfolds. Your body tells a story! Now I'll be looking forward to your next addition 🙂

3. Gallantly, gal says:

Love it! Thank you for sharing the poem with me. Sorry that you are struggling so. I’ve been the same for a while now. I hate the dispirited person I’ve become. It’s sad to see you so dispirited too when you usually have so much spirit! I’ve been tinkering with the idea of a tattoo for a long time. A small one… I love the quote you chose for yours 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Oh no! You too? Well, honey, we can do this! We are strong and will get our spirits and fire back. I’m so delighted that you enjoyed the poem! It’s always great to look back at to make you feel encouraged and empowered. Chew on the tattoo idea for a while (: you may find something that you like!

Liked by 2 people

1. Gallantly, gal says:

Thank you! Yes we can and we are strong! 🙂
        I was thinking of just a small one first, maybe somewhere not too obvious, like behind my ear. I often put my hair in a ponytail so it’d still be seen. I was thinking of a small 4-leaf clover because I need all the luck I can get and was born on St. Patty’s Day. I’ve been thinking of it for a while so I might just do it once I feel more free with my finances 😉

2. That would be so great!! Cute, small, but so much meaning 🙂 and the smaller ones aren’t too much of a commitment. It also shouldn’t break your bank! My tattoo was only $80 AFTER the tip! You’ll just have to shop around for tattoo parlors in your area 🙂

3. Gallantly, gal says:

Aw nice! Thanks for the tip 🙂
        Also, may I recommend you listen to Andra Day’s “Rise Up” to get yourself going on harder days? ❤

Liked by 1 person

4. Absolutely! I love and welcome recommendations. I’ll check it out ❤ Thank you for sharing.

4. dcmoy says:

I love these words! It’s not only a great reminder for yourself but for the rest of as well!

“Still, like air, I rise.” ❤️

I have felt like I was drowning in a moment. Stuck in quicksand. But then a week, a month, a year passes, and we wonder why we were so worried or stressed to begin with. That’s he beautiful thing about life, there’s always a new day and it does get better!

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh my goodness, yes!! I’ve been trying to remind myself of this as I’m going through this tough time. Every other challenging experience I’ve been through seems like nothing now, so I’m looking forward to the days when I can look back at this and can brush it off of my shoulder. I’m so glad that you were able to relate to this love ❤️ thank you for sticking around as I’ve struggled to post! Xoxo 😘

Liked by 1 person

5. Still I Rise is my favorite poem. I’m so glad you’re inspired by it and now have the tattoo as a reminder to help you through these tough times. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Sheesh, girl, you can even inspire others despite difficult times. I rest assured that you’ve got this…

Liked by 3 people

1. Thank you sweetheart! You’ve been such a good friend and I’m so grateful that you’re able to see this journey of mine. I agree, it’s a stunning poem and I’m truly so proud to wear the message on my body. I feel a change coming so I’m looking forward to the storm passing 😘 I appreciate you!

6. I’m sorry life feels like a shit show, right now. That seems to be going around. But, good on you for looking up and forward! Things will pick up soon, I’m sure. ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you love ❤️ I’m trying to appreciate the struggle and welcome the growth that is coming with it. I’m so grateful for friends like you who support me and cheer me on along the way ❤️

7. kajemarie says:

Thank you for having the courage to admit things aren’t going so well. Stay strong! At the end of every test is a bomb a** testimony.

Liked by 3 people

1. Thank you sweetie 😘 that means so much to me! It’s taken me a while to muster up the courage to publish this and your support is exactly why I knew that I had to be honest. I can’t wait to see what amazing story comes of this and I’m even more excited to share it with you 💕

1. kajemarie says:

Awww! And I can’t wait to read more of it. ❤️ let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you!

2. Thank you so much! The simple fact that you stick around on my blog and share your support is far more than I could ever ask for. I’m so grateful to have you in my tribe ❤ You rock and I appreciate you far more than you know!

Liked by 1 person

8. “Still, like air, I’ll rise.” I LOVE THIS and just noted it down in my journal! Your honesty is inspiring and I am positive that things will get better 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. That’s great!! I’m so glad that you find value in the poem. It’s so empowering, right?! Your comment is beyond sweet and I’m so grateful for your support. Many more blogs about my journey to come ❤

9. Padmasandhya says:

Like air, you’ll rise. Like air, you shall be light. And like air, you shall help the living world.

1. So beautiful ❤ thank you, dear friend.

10. rysieblog says:

Stay strong, lady. Sometimes we need the lulls, and the slumps to regroup and reform. I love your tattoo, and I love the strength that it conveys. Xo

1. Thank you my dear ❤ I'll get through this! The toughest times make the strongest people, so I try to remind myself of that daily. And my tattoo is a symbol of that strength as well so it's very encouraging. Thank you for believing in me ❤

11. Meghan says:

Get it girl!!! That’s the Paige I know 😍 You’re on the up girl and it’ll only get better, keep rising 🙌🎈

1. Thank you my love ❤ It was much easier to write this with your faith in me! I'm back and I'll be better 🙂

1. Meghan says:

Always here for you! 💓

Liked by 1 person

12. Thank you for sharing, its quite hard to confidence things especially on the Internet, I hope you feel yourself again, it may take time but for me in the past, it does but its worth it.
    Stay strong, sometimes it will help if you ask your peers / family even though you probably already know this.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you sweetheart (: that means the world to me. I’m reconnecting with myself one day at a time. It’s been a process, full of growing pains and change but I’m reminding myself that I’ll be better for it in time (: Thank you for allowing me to share!

13. Wait! How did I miss this!?!? OMG I love it!! and guess who’ve inspired for a little tat action!?! I love you and keep rising to the top babe!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Girl, where have you been?! I’ve been on a roll lately haha you gotta catch me while I’m hot.

I swear that if you get a new tattoo, I must be video-chatted in so I can virtually hold your hand haha!

I love and adore you more sweetie! I’m working on being my best self ❤ I really want to say "I'm living my best life" by the end of this year!

Liked by 1 person

14. Hi lovely, I have nominated you for The Mystery Blogger Award!
    I really enjoy reading your posts so think you deserve this 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. You are a true gem ❤ Thank you so much love! I am so flattered (: I'll go check it out and whip up a post.