Clear Your Mind

Rumor has it that extroverts are known for being ‘too much’.

I can’t completely debunk this myth because I am guilty as charged. On a scale of 1 to extra I’m a solid 8.5…okay maybe a 9 on my best day. You can find me at the chatter box AA meeting next Tuesday. Anyway..

One thing that I’ve noticed is that I need to be surrounded by interaction and human beings in order to function every day. Just imagine, the coworker that always skips in to work with a smile, piping hot coffee, and at attitude like it’s a Saturday every morning — hi, that’s me again.

However, my 9-5 situation is quite different now. I’m not exactly ‘skipping’ to my desk, I’m strolling. I’m not chit-chatting all day long so I have to settle for little Paige in my head. And boy, if you thought that I was a talker, you should hear my little conscious. She’s obnoxious. She’s always over thinking, over analyzing, worrying, stressing and driving me nuts. It’s like wash, rinse, repeat x 100. For Christ’s sake, I feel like Lizzie McGuire.

I can’t get her to shut up.

lizzie-453x300

So as you can imagine, while I love the conversation with my little friend up there, I often get overwhelmed with my thoughts. I have so much going on that I don’t know how to escape. So I started doing this thing. At first I thought that it looked funny, sounded a little weird, and that it would probably trick me into taking an unnecessary nap. But I decided to go for it anyway.

I started meditating.

I guess that you could say that my self-help books are starting to get to me. I downloaded this app called ‘Headspace’ recently and decided to go all in. Once I got past the idea that I had to sit criss-cross apple sauce like the third grade, I was in business.

The app provides guided meditation for meditators of all experience levels and is narrated by this amazing guy with a British accent. I feel like I’ve found my British Siri’s soul mate.

So last night was my first stab at this thing. I think I still have a little ways to go because I wasn’t able to channel my super powers on the first try, but I think that this will be great for calming little Paige’s rants and conversations up there for now.

I started sitting and about 60 seconds in, realized that I am far too antsy to be able to get any real head space sitting upright. So what did I do? I flirted with the idea of laying on my back with my palms facing the ceiling. That really did the trick.

Because it was my first ‘session’ the app walked me through a 3-minute meditation exercise. I felt like I needed a little more so I continued to lay down for a few moments longer. Let me tell you, when I got up I felt much calmer. It didn’t work any miracles and I may need to practice for a few more weeks before I announce that I’m the newest member of the Avengers but I think that this new addition to my life will start bringing me much more peace.

What are some of the ways that you try to clear your mind? Help a sista out!

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 6.40.08 PM.png

Join the conversation! Like my Facebook page

Tweet Tweet. Hop in the nest and follow me on Twitter @thepagesofpaige

Double tap and show me some love. Follow me on the ‘gram @thepagesofpaige_

22 Comments Add yours

1. Padmasandhya says:

In yoga class, I learnt that the best and easiest method of meditation is conscious breathing. When you observe the air going in and coming out, you connect with the most essential element of survival- breathing. When practised correctly, you realise that all other distractions are temporary and try to identify your position in the universe. It’s a great decision that you decided to start meditating! All the best!
    On a side note, I just love the way you write!

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes! That’s exactly what my first session was like. It was explaining how to calm your body by thinking about the feeling and movement as you breathe. It’s quite interesting. I’m so excited to try again this evening after work. Do you meditate as well?

Thank you SO MUCH for your sweet words! My goodness, they mean the absolute world to me. I am so glad that you enjoy my writing. It’s the time when I feel the closest to my true self. I’m so honored to have you on my blog ❤ I can't express my gratitude enough!

2. Padmasandhya says:

I meditate only in Yoga class 😁. But yes, I need to cultivate self-discipline and practise unsupervised mediation as well!
    And Paige, it’s my pleasure to read your write-ups. You always have something valuable to say and you don’t make it sound like a religious sermon! THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLOG!

Liked by 1 person

1. Omg, are you trying to make me cry?! You are too sweet. Just when I was thinking that my blog is all gibberish, you make my heart smile ❤

I will be sure to share an update on how my self-meditation is going. I'm nervous, a little skeptical, and hopeful at the same time. It should make for a pretty entertaining post one day I'm sure LOL

1. Padmasandhya says:

Waiting for that post already! 😀
        Hey while you’re still here can you check out this most recent post of mine: https://lotustwilight.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/letter-to-mr-writer-s-block/
        I would love to know what you think of it! ❤❤❤

Liked by 1 person

2. Wow! This post is beautiful! So artfully written and articulate. Your word choice is stunning as well. Writing aside, your message is so true! I relate to it so much. Sometimes I do feel like Mr. Writer’s Block hits me unexpectedly and drains me of my creative juices. What a great spin on how to talk about the idea. I love it!

3. Padmasandhya says:

Thanks, Paige! It means a lot to me!

3. Gallantly, gal says:

I’ve been meditating too! When I go in to work, it’s a small office and I have at least an hour alone, so I put on a guided meditation video and do that to prep me for the day!
    You also sound like a ray of sunshine, so I hope you get your light back.

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re incredible! I give you so much respect for meditating in the morning before OR at the office. Because I’m a beginner, I think that around 6pm when I’m finally home from work is the best time to make it a habit. I have about an hour and a half at home alone before my honey finishes work so it seems like the perfect opportunity for me to unwind after my day you know? I’ll definitely be sure to let you know how things are going!

You are so kind ❤ wow, thank you. Those who know me well would agree with you. I try to be as positive and bright as I can be so I am fighting for my sunshine to come back. This comment brought me so much joy! I feel like I'm glowing right now. Thank you so so much my dear ❤

1. Gallantly, gal says:

Thanks! Got to find whatever time we got alone to meditate! I think doing it after work could help de-stress, too.

And you’re so very welcome! I can tell from your blog alone how bright you are 🙂 I’m glad I could help you get some of the glow back 💖💖💖

Liked by 1 person

2. You are so sweet (: thank you for seeing that in me! I’m confident that you will be seeing even more glow moving forward. Have a fantastic weekend my dear friend ❤

3. Gallantly, gal says:

You too! ❤

Liked by 1 person

4. Nth clears your mind better than shutting the fuck up.

Liked by 2 people

1. Exactly. It’s amazing how little we actually do it

Liked by 2 people

1. Shhhh. I’m practicing it now. Can’t talk.

Liked by 3 people

5. I meditate. It can be helpful for mild to moderate bouts of stress. I’m more of a visual person. I like to see progress to clear my head out, so I write a lot (A LOT) of lists. I may never get through (or even to) them, but just getting the words out of my brain and onto a page where I can see, “Ok, this isn’t really THAT overwhelming…” works wonders.

Liked by 3 people

1. I totally agree with you! I make lists, plans, and notes to myself to get all of the thoughts out and on paper. The meditating so far has been relaxing to say the least. It’s helped me stay calm but I think that it could be a nice addition to my routine. Otherwise, I think I’ll stick to my visual lists too ❤

Liked by 1 person

6. Apparently, I’m missing out. I don’t meditate. Every time I try, I fall asleep. To clear my mind, I usually write my thoughts on paper or talk to my husband. Other times, I simply veg out in front of Netflix. A good rerun of Friends, A Different World or any other 90’s sitcom always does the trick. I’m going to get on the ball though. Meditation might helpful. My mind is always “on” and I can’t seem to switch it off sometimes.

Liked by 1 person

1. Ah! I’m the same way. I am so late to this party. I typically do the same things as you but they don’t always bring me the kind of peace and calm or quiet that I need some days when I’m stressed. So far, it’s been nice! I haven’t seen any crazy results but I like the idea that I’m making time to sit still and take deep breaths. Just the thought of me making that a priority makes me feel better 🙂 I’ll give you an update in a few weeks to let you know if I’m seeing any brag-worthy results!

Liked by 1 person

7. I tried medicating and got to the sixth day I believe and just stopped, I felt that I didn’t see any progress or point as didn’t make any process but I bet it’s tbis type of progress that takes time

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh definitely! So far with my experience, it seems like it takes discipline to make it a habit. I’ve been feeling calm when I do it but no miracles have come from it (yet) lol