18 Things That I’m NOT Doing in 2018

Hey, darlings. Guess what?

We’ve almost successfully finished another trip around the sun!

I know that I’m not very old nor do I look a day over 16, but 2018 just sounds crazy in my ears. Is it just me or when you hear the year 2003 you think to yourself,

“Oh yeah, that was like 4 years ago!”.

No, sugar, we’re inching towards 2020 and that makes me slightly uncomfortable. My vision isn’t even that good for Christ’s sake…

Now that I’ve accepted this, I’m starting to brainstorm ideas to scribble onto my list of New Year’s Resolutions.

dIcKRbD.gif

Hey now! Resolutions aren’t that bad if you actually stick to all a few of them. I mean, come on, how great does it feel to scratch something off of your list? Pretty damn great!

But this post isn’t about the amazing person I dream to be in 2018. Nor is it about the god-awful saying “new year, new me”. I’ll save that story for another post.

This post is for the pessimist.

As I’ve narrated throughout the Pages of Paige, 2017 has been…less than friendly. Granted, the bitch has taught me a hell of a lot. However, I can think of a million things that I want to leave in 2017. But to save you some time, I’ll just stick to a handful.

sss
You ready for this?

Here are 18 things that I am NOT doing in 2018.

I am not going to…

01. Hate my dad.

Even though he’s acting like a total piece of shit, I’m sick and tired of being angry at him. I’ll be damned if I spend another year rolling my eyes at father-daughter scenes in movies, feeling sad on Father’s Day, or being bitter when I have to submit bi-weekly payments for a car that’s in his name.

This has to stop. So in 2018, I’m freeing myself from this divorce prison.

02. Compare myself to others.

Cut me a little slack, guys. Don’t pretend that you don’t do this too. It’s actually pretty hard! You see someone who’s seemingly living the life that you want, wearing clothes that you wish would look good on you, or driving a car to a fancy home that you wish you could afford. It’s poisonous.

I usually compare myself to women with long, luscious hair (you know, the beach waves like Farrah Fawcett), as if they literally hopped out of bed and could strut down a runway. Or to women who have bodies carved by the gods. I’ve always been insecure about my weight and for looking so much younger than I am. So, promise me that you’ll hold me accountable for this next year.

03. Be so self-critical.

This goes hand-in-hand with #2. I’m so mean to myself. I would literally smack someone for saying some of the things that I say to myself. I need to be nicer to myself and spend more time saying uplifting, positive, and empowering things. Who’s with me?

04. Try so hard to please everyone.

Maybe I should have titled this blog “Paige, The People Pleaser” because I swear that I work so hard to make everyone happy. Not only is it exhausting, but the reward is never very satisfying. Life is far too short to spend it kissing the asses of other people. So I’m going to *reclaim my time* and focus on pleasing only one person, me.

05. Complain.

Your Honor, the defendant is GUILTY! Well, I sure as hell am. As much as I hate to admit this out loud, I complain. I know that I shouldn’t but even the best of us do. But it’s a choice. I’d like to choose to be less negative, and that starts by spending my time talking about positive things and finding the silver lining in my situation.

Related: Stop Bitching.

06. Take “NO” for an answer.

As I mentioned, I’m a chronic people pleaser which means that I say yes to basically everything and accept far too many no’s.

BUT, I’m taking this year by the balls. I’m not going to settle for less than I’ve worked my tail off for…yes, even that large fry from McDonald’s.

07. Pretend that I have it all figured out.

I hate to crash the party here, but I don’t have it all figured out. I definitely wish that I did though! (Like, could you imagine?!) But that’s what makes life so much hell fun. I’m a typical Virgo so we’re meticulous and organized, so we crumble when we realize that we can’t be perfect all of the time.

Consider this my vow to stop putting so much pressure on myself to look like I have it all together and to simply ride the wave.

08. Hold grudges.

I’ve been so angry this year — angry at people, things, and situations. I’ve never been this unsettled by things before so I haven’t handled the steam coming from my ears very well.

But damn, grudges are heavy! Remember the metaphor our parents used to tell us about grudges being like boulders; these huge rocks that we carry with us? It all makes sense now. Being angry about things for long periods of time really does weigh you down. And I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve been a part of this in 2017.

Well, bye bye boulders. Unless you’re going to stick around to give me some muscle or tack on a few pounds, I have no use for you in the new year.

09. Spend time with people who aren’t bringing positivity into my life.

So I’m about up to here with pouring myself into friendships for people who could care less about me or who aren’t actively trying to be better individuals. Friends should be empowering and always trying to grow. I’d say that you’re lucky if you have a few friends in your circle that are (hold them close and tell them that you love them).

They say that birds of a feather flock together, so I want to soar with the eagles. I plan to spend my time with friends who have hearts the size of Texas, wake up each day trying to be better than the day before, and who love me for the hot mess that I am.

10. Care what people say, feel, or think of me.

Ohhhhh boy. This is something that may take me a few tries. Here I go again, beating on the people pleaser drum. I don’t know why I am so concerned with how people perceive me. I wish that everyone that I meet could love me for who I am. But as the saying goes, you could be the fattest, sweetest, and juiciest peach, but there will always be someone who just doesn’t like peaches.

So bear with me. I’m really going to try to stick to this one.

11. Spend money on stupid sh*t.

Money, money, money. The root of all evil. Now that I’m a “real adult” I want to actually hold myself accountable for how and where I spend my money. Do I really need this? Wouldn’t my money be better spent on that? Absolutely.

I want this year to be about financial health and investment. So that means I need to stop talking about making a budget and actually put a pen to paper.

12. Allow things – or people – to stand in the way of my relationship.

I love my boyfriend. And that should be all that matters. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve let other people’s opinions of us get in the way of our partnership. I’ve allowed their doubts and feelings to cloud my perception and have distracted me from what’s important. I’m leaving this one behind me because frankly, it’s ridiculous.

*smacks hand*

13. Stress about things that I cannot change or control.

I’m such a worry wart and to be honest, it drives me a little nuts. My cousin always asks me, “Why do you waste your time worrying about things that you can’t change? Worrying won’t fix the problem so save yourself the agony.” He has a point. Why do I do this to myself?

14. Be a part of things that steal my joy or happiness.

Whether its work or play, I don’t want to spend my time being participating in things don’t make me crazy happy.

Simple as that.

15. Wear a mask.

I’ve always been known for my bright smile and positive attitude. While that is very true of my character, I’m still human. Just like you, I have my days where I want to cry into a sock or I’m so angry that my jaw clamps up. I don’t usually like to show that side of myself because I don’t want to shatter my “image”.

Screw the image. This blog has been a platform for me to be true to who I am, share my deepest secrets, and explain some of my ugliest experiences. I want to say thank you for taking the time to read The Pages of Paige. You are changing my life ❤

16. Forget about important grown-up stuff.

“Sh*t! The bill is due TODAY?!” Yeah, no more of that. I want to be more organized and prepared because that’s what it means to adult right?

17. Be irresponsible with what I put in my body.

As of this moment, I’ve been able to eat complete garbage, drink until the room spins, and stay up until the sun comes up. I’m only 23 so hopefully, I still have quite a few miles on this thing. But they keep telling me that it’s going to catch up to me at some point. I guess I should start taking responsibility for my health because I’m sure my future self will thank me later.

18. Live my life one change or crisis at a time.

As a kid, we experienced a ton of change (as many of us do). I don’t mean change in our bodies or with our friends, I mean, major life changes. Because of my childhood, I’ve grown into a woman that anxiously anticipates change and is always ready to put out a few flames. Sadly, that’s no way to live.

In the new year, I want to stop to smell the roses and enjoy life, one day at a time rather than waiting for the next crisis.

Your turn! What are some things that you want to stop doing in 2018?

Check out my Facebook page

55 Comments Add yours

1. zakeeyak says:

I want to stop dreaming and start doing. I’ve wanted to do so many things for so long – it’s time I did them rather than just keep on dreaming

Liked by 3 people

1. That’s such a good one and it totally hits home. I applied that mantra this year to travel. I always used to dream of places that I wanted to visit but never actually tried to make them happen. So I sat down, made a spreadsheet, assigned each destination to a date and I went to 4/5 of the places that I said that I would. It felt amazing to actually DO what I’d always been saying.

I hope that this is something that you can experience in the coming year! I look forward to hearing all about it 🙂

2. Kazz818 says:

As always, a pleasure to read and truly honest! I would like to stop letting people deflate me or affect my happiness. 2017 has been amazing in so many ways buy definitely not without it turbulent emotions & events.

Liked by 2 people

1. Aww, thank you, my dear friend. That is such a great goal. As you read, that’s something that I want to work on as well. It’s crazy to see the power that others have on our happiness. But it is almost entirely within our control.

We can be accountability partners and stick together to make this happen in 2018! I hope that it is EVEN better than this year for you ❤

1. Kazz818 says:

Exactly!! It’s amazing what we let ourselves do but seem unacceptable for others we care about or otherwise.

Absolutely! We can work on 2018 together to ensure a better year! 😀

Liked by 2 people

2. You got it girl! I’m actually really pumped for this year!

3. Kazz818 says:

You and me both, my friend! Have an awesome day Paige! I know I’m more motivated now 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. Thank you honey! You too 🙂 Kiss little Willow for me!

5. Kazz818 says:

I sure will 😍

3. I know one thing I’m going to stop doing is holding grudges.. I have 3 people I’ve been mad at this last half of 2017 and I really need to let it go! I’m not explaining why my kid is still breastfed either, I’m getting tired of justifying what I’m doing for my child. After all they’re my boobs anyway lol I’m not giving up in 2018 either! I’m finishing everything I started.

loved your post, we have more in common than I thought lol

Liked by 3 people

1. Wow! Girl, I don’t blame you. It’s crazy to think that someone can believe that they can have an opinion on the way you raise your child. But, for your own happiness, you’ve gotta forgive the person (even when they’re wrong), and focus on being the best mommy that you can be! I’m sure that you are already doing a phenomenal job ❤

Also, I am going to hold you to finishing the things that you start! That means this blog sista. I believe in you 🙂 so when you have doubts, you better not hesitate to reach out to me.

Thank you for reading! We really do have a lot in common. I absolutely love that 🙂 I mean really, let's stay close on this journey in blogging! Selfishly, I just want to watch you grow ha! I know that you can and you will.

4. rysieblog says:

My one and only goal for 2018 is replace the power supply on my computer so that I can type my blogs, rather than writing them all on the app. I haven’t had computer access in 6 months, so everything I post has been written like a crazy long text message on my phone. Aside from that, I don’t do NY resolutions (I actually have a blog brewing about this too). The concept of New Year, New Me makes me want to spew! I like me already, just fine!!

Liked by 2 people

1. You hand TEXT all of your blogs on the app?! Bless your sweet heart. Early Christmas gift maybe? That’s a major goal!

I’d love to hear your thoughts about NY resolutions. I’ve always been a fan of them personally, but the overall concept is a little funky – I just make them my own. I’m dying to hear your take on it. I’ll keep an eye out!

And doesn’t that saying just make you want to scream?! Seriously, you don’t magically become a better person when the clock strikes midnight – it takes some effort ha!

1. rysieblog says:

I di! Haha! Committed, or stupid, I’m not sure, but it takes ages!! Haha!!

Liked by 1 person

2. My goodness! You poor thing. I can only imagine how much of a pain that must be! I just want to reach through the screen and hug you – right after I give you an ice pack for your fingers.

3. rysieblog says:

😂😂😂😂😂

5. toinspireus says:

I am going to speak this right now not as if I don’t already: I want to stop living in this one room in 2018 & become financially stable!

6. Yaa Yaa says:

I’m a people pleaser too! And that’s something I’d like to unpack and purposely leave right in 2017. Great post 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Let’s do it together! It’s something that I definitely need to shake off. Thank you so much 🙂

7. Yes, try not so hard to please everyone. This will do you good, for sure.
    BTW, did you see that SHE, you know who, has a new post? Hilarious.

Liked by 2 people

1. Oh yeah. It’s killing me softly. I haven’t yet but I’ve been itching to read it! It’s been quite the day so I definitely need a good laugh (: I’ll swing over to her site now. You know, we’ve gotta stay up to date for our club lol

Liked by 1 person

1. It was worth every word (and cough).

Liked by 1 person

2. Without even reading further, I’m placing my money on DG’s blog right?!?!?

Liked by 2 people

1. Hey you. Are you following me?
        Hugs my dear. And YES, check out her site. The girl rocks.

Liked by 1 person

2. Of course I am, I TOLD you I was stalking you! 😛 And Yes I am following her too. She has caused me to dump coffee on myself many times with her style

Liked by 2 people

3. Lol. Same response, right Paige? We agreed to found a club-AA, anonymous admirers or something. We just need a shrine, where to pay our devotion (the deity is there already).
        Here’s a blog recommendation. This girl rocks. Her posts are too funny, except for the last one (she’s going through a break up), however, it’s equally powerful. Besides, DG adores her humor and writing style. Isn’t that in itself a good enough recommendation.

Liked by 2 people

4. Club-AA. I like the sound of that!! We’ll have to make it a trend (: I love the idea of starting dialogue about our favorite writers.

I’m going to check out the blog you mentioned. She’s definitely great if she’s endorsed by DG (:

Liked by 2 people

5. Ok ok I give up…no more drinking coffee while reading blogs…. I visited , Im hooked…. coffeeless at the moment again though

Liked by 2 people

6. Haha! It’s addicting right? (The coffee and the blogging).

Liked by 1 person

7. both yes…but the spitting or snorting of the coffee when I am laughing is dangerous to my keyboard and clothing

Liked by 2 people

8. Exactly! I keep my mugs far away from me while I read because I’m a total snob and I’d ruin everything by laughing

Liked by 1 person

9. Haha. We’ll need an extra shrine. Isn’t she something? And enjoy that coffee for me , the next one I mean.

Liked by 2 people

10. Right on the money! You guessed it.

8. Reminissy says:

WOW thank you for sharing some of the things you’re not taking with you into 2018! This is really relatable for me because I too blogged something similar about just wanting nothing more but to protect my own vibe (http://ireminiss.com/2017/12/13/choose-your-vibe/) and work on myself this year all of the other drama I just do not have time for! #5, #9, #12!! Hope you have a Happy Holiday, and god luck working on your list!

Liked by 2 people

1. Oh great! I’ll have to visit your post and check it out (: I hope that you have a wonderful holiday season as well sweetheart!

9. Bryce Warden says:

What a fantastic list. You are wise beyond your years. I hope you have a wonderful 2018.

Liked by 3 people

1. Thank you so much! I’ve got plenty of work to do but I’m sure that if I’m able to stick to these, I’ll be a much happier person with a great year. Happy holidays (:

Liked by 1 person

2. I was wondering if she is wise beyond or years or if I just did everything backwards…because if I took the time to make a resolutions list, mine would look very similar.

Liked by 2 people

1. My mom is convinced that either I’m an old soul or I’ve done this “life thing” before in another lifetime lol I appreciate that you think that I’m wise for my years! Just when I was feeling lost, you all build me right back up 🙂 I can’t thank you enough

Liked by 1 person

2. I believe, your mom is a very wise lady 🙂 as are you!

Liked by 1 person

3. Well thank you my dear (: I’ll be sure to write a post about her so you all can get a sense of where I get it from! The apple didn’t fall too far from the tree 😊🍎

4. haha see no more writers block 😛

5. Bryce Warden says:

Someone once told me that life is a journey not a destination….we all get to where we need to be eventually sometimes we just take different paths to get there. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10. An admirable list, Paige! One of my favorite things about the community out here is posts just like this. Each and every one of us could use some measure of the changes you recommend here. Forget having it all figured out… you just did!

Now comes the hard part. 😉

The good news is that utter perfection makes for lousy blogging. 😏

So, here’s a toast to all of us, who maybe haven’t quite made it to utter perfection, but who have a hell of a good time trying … and writing about it along the way. 🥂

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you Tom! Cheers to another great year for us all and may our blogs grow and blossom ❤

Liked by 1 person

11. I like the idea of making a list of what to stop doing instead of what to start. Maybe that’s the way to stick to New Year’s resolutions.

In regard to creating a budget, I know that the struggle is real. It took me way too much time to make one and even more time on top of that to stick to it. I have a template that might could help you out so you’re not starting from scratch. Feel free to download it from the Google doc.

1. Wow!! This is great. I’m going to try it out. Thank you 🙂

12. Is it weird that we are the same person lol this was cool stuff I actually have some of these in my “11 reasons we are going to sleigh 2018” this has been a wonderful read

Liked by 2 people

1. That is too cool Zyek! I’m so glad that you related to this. I’m on my way right now to check out your post and I’ll be sure to show my love ❤

Liked by 1 person

13. Sorry that I’m a bit late to the party but this blog post, I feel like you are me basically as everyone of these things, I should probably do. From number one to number 18; I feel like we are quite similar in the fact that I don’t really get on with my Dad and I let other people’s comments get to me. I should probably change some of them and use the saying ‘live and let live’ but I find it quite hard.
    Anyway, another great post and I hope you have enjoyed Christmas if you celebrate it or enjoy your Monday if you don’t.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much Milly May (: I’m so glad that we have so much in common! Let’s keep in touch over the year so we can make one another accountable for accomplishing these things. We can do this!!