When I was in grade school, I would organize my pencils and textbooks in an orderly fashion so I could feel like I had my own “big-girl desk”. I’d sit nice and tall as I put paperclips on my fingers so I could clickity-clack on the desktop. Those were the days. Well, fast forward 23 years and here we are. I’ve grown up and my small desk is now a 5-by-5 cubicle in a corporate office.
But let’s be honest. Cubicles are so drab.
And eight hours is a hell of a long time to be sitting in a dusty old corner staring at a computer screen wanting to rip your eyeballs out. Luckily for you, I’ve put together a handy dandy list of ways to turn your cubicle from drab to FAB.
01. Get a calendar with some personality.
Who said that calendars have to be boring! Find a calendar that has lots of color, patterns, designs, or simply has great aethetic and suddenly it becomes both a work of art and an organizer! Now that’s the best of both worlds.
02. You can also toss the standard desk calendar in the wastebasket by using one of these adorable DIY ones.
Pick up a few simple pieces from your local Michael’s, Dollar Tree, or 99 cent store and Voilà! You’ve got a desktop calendar that looks like you spent big bucks on Etsy!
03. Add a lamp for instant coziness and warmth.
Lamps are literally my FAVE. There’s just something about the calm ambiance that a soft light brings to a space. And your cubicle is no exception. You can snag a pretty shnazzy lamp at a thrift or department store. Whatever floats your boat girlfriend.
Pro tip: To save some extra monies, pick a simple base and get a lampshade with some spunk!
or make a nest lamp of your own.
I’ve been dying to try this one out! Seriously, look at how cool this thing is! All you need is some twine, Elmer’s glue, and a balloon. If you want to speed up the process, you can use a blowdryer to dry a little faster. Just make sure its not on high (;
04. Make your desktop background a work of art.
This one is super easy and will cost you a whopping $0.00. Download a wallpaper that captures your personality and leaves your mark when you step away for your second cup of coffee.
05. Add a plant for some extra life.
Show your planet some love by adding some leafy greans. If you were blessed with a green thumb, buy a real plant and nurture that little baby! Sadly, if you’re anything like me, you can’t even grow weeds so you may want to settle for an artificial one.
06. And make sure that the pot has lots of character.
07. Create a faux mural by splitting an image into printable-sized parts.
Take your artistry to a new level by making your own “mural”. Pick a photo that you love and print it into a few pieces to create your fancy mural. Yep, just like you see on HGTV. You’re welcome.
08. String up some Christmas lights for a little extra glam.
Nothing says “Good morning gorgeous!” better than twinkling Christmas lights. String lights are awesome for your cubicle because your space is on the smaller side and the light is just enough to add a little twinkle.
Pro-tip: Wait until after Chrismas for the post-holiday sales to snag them for just a few bucks.
09. Spray paint rocks for hipster-like book ends.
My dear. If you try nothing else, this is the one. Spot some eye-catching rocks on your way into the office? (Probably not, but stay with me). Grab them along with a can of spray paint to instantly add some character to the books you’re using for decoration.
10. Hang up some empowering quotes.
My second year of college, I covered my dorm door from top to bottom with post-it notes of quotes that empowered me…and encouraged me not drop out. Actually, they were mostly inspirational but you get the idea. The idea applies to your cubicle too. Add a few boss lady quotes to remind you everyday that you are sensational!
11. For extra flare, use funky push pins.
Who said that push pins can’t be sassy too?
12. If you’re stuck with fabric walls, use the toothy side of Velcro to display your picture frames.
If your cubicle walls are made of fabric and a push pin just wont hold, use a few small pieces of Velcro to add some of your favorite photos. You can pick up a roll of Velcro from your local craft store for just a few dollars.
13. Spruce up your mousepad with fabric or create your own with paint and tape.
Here’s another quick fix. Turn your boring mousepad into a fashion statement by using a square of fabric or create your own design with paint and tape.
14. Buy a few statement coffee mugs.
Even if you’re not a crazy coffee drinker, a statement mug can easily add some personality to your desk.
15. Get a stylish tray to organize all of those run away desktop items.
Office materials can easily consume a ton of space on your desktop. Keep them organized with a shallow tray. Don’t be afraid to add some of your personal items like perfume, lotion, or extra scrunchies as well.
16. Use a workout ball instead of your office chair.
Depending on your office culture, trade in your office chair for a large work out ball. You’ll burn calories and keep your body occupied at the same time.
17. Or drape a colorful throw blanket over your chair to feel right at home.
Throw blankets are perfect for adding some coziness to your chair and can keep you warm when your colleagues want to crank up the AC.
18. Add a coat hook for your sweaters and jackets.
No matter what the temps are outside (yes, even in Phoenix), I always have a spare jacket or cardigan at my desk in case it gets nippy in the office. But hanging them on the back of my chair can be a bit of an eye sore. Save some space and keep them out of the way by hanging a hook on your wall. Plus, it saves some room for your throw blanket!
19. Bring wallpaper back in style by using it as a trendy backdrop.
If you’d prefer to keep your clean and simple, add some flare to your walls by adding a few spools of wallpaper.
20. Add an adorable dorm-size fridge to keep all your goodies to yourself.
If you have enough space for one of these babies, it’s worth considering! You can store your lunch, extra water bottles, and snacks within an arms length of your keyboard.
21. Give your fingertips some flare with a keyboard cover.
Amazon is full of adorable stickers to add to your keyboard. Whether you get individial stickers for each key or a cover, this is a simple way to spice up your computer. Your fingers will thank you.
22. Raise your monitor with books or a shallow shelf.
This is a great way to utilize your space and keep your monitor at eye-level. Save yourself a kink-in-the-neck and organize your files at the same time.
23. Add a corner shelf to save some space.
If you’re short on space and want to add a few things to your wall, add a small corner shelf to display a few items.
24. Hang clipboards to add some spunk to your notes or photos.
Have extra clipboards in your desk that you have no use for? Add photos, pictures, or simple notes for an extra splash of decoration.
25. Be extra hipster and label mason jars for your utensils.
Mason jars are so in right now. Whether you have classic clear jars or you want to add a drop of paint for color, store your utensils or flowers and have an instant show stopper.
26. Get a cord keeper to hide and organize those annoying cables.
Computer wires, phone chargers, and HDMI cables can be a tangled mess and instandly make your tiny cubible look like a web of craziness. Keep them all out of sight and out of mind by using a cord keeper and slip it behind your desk. Poof! They’re gone.
27. Make room for some candles to make your desk feel like home.
Add a few candles for an instant at-home feel. Putting them in shallow glass jars will also give an interior designer look.
28. If you want to cut down on sticky notes, use a dry erase board instead.
Dry erase boards are great for jotting down your thoughts or important deadlines without having to waste valuable notepaper. Save the trees!
29. Hang a minimalistic clock.
Pinterest is full of great minimalistic clocks that can give your space a little pick-me-up. Even if it’s just for show, this minor addition will tie the entire space together.
30. Hold onto your wanderlust with a table-top globe.
Keep your dream vacations close by having a small globe nearby. Keep your wanderlust spirit alive!
Now get back to work boss lady!
What are some ways that you spice up your cubicle or desk area?
inspired by: https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobus/make-your-cubicle-suck-less?utm_term=.fgA9dap6P#.gwanvNLeX
inspired by: https://www.buzzfeed.com/maitlandquitmeyer/ways-to-make-your-cubicle-feel-like-home?utm_term=.ri4NKGByV#.exx5Qpdn7
inspired by: https://www.homedit.com/cubicle-decor-ideas/